World Down Syndrome Day. Apparently.

10:41 AM racheal 6 Comments

I just can't get over the cleverness of this day. 3-21. As in three copies of chromosome 21. Oh the cleverness of you. So in honor of this day mean to raise awareness and acceptance, I will set aside my sardonic nature and share some things about Olive that have nothing to do with her diagnosis. Because in the end, it is who we are, and not what we are that defines us.

1. She loves to dance. And be thrown around (yes, we shake our babies). And to bounce. This girl feels the rhythm.


2. She is super determined. Once she realizes she can do something, she does it. Today I showed her that she could hold her bottle herself. Now she wont have it any other way!

3. She's got sass. Nuf said.


4. She adores Charlie. And she really likes Garrett and me. This is a rather new realization for us, and it's awesome to see her face light up when we enter the room. I LOVE IT.


5. She loves to eat. Thank you for giving me a child that enjoys food. I feel validated.


6. She has incredible focus. She will take a book and examine every corner, page, picture, texture, taste, you name it. She really experiences things. I love that about her.

7. She loves to be loved. Don't we all.

8. She loves water. She LOVES water.


9. She is all the African Baby I could have ever wanted. Dark skin excluded (though I'm still crossing my fingers that I've got some recessive genes somewhere that will manifest in our next baby)




10.  She is happy to be her. I hope one day to be as confident in my own skin as my 1 yr-old is in hers.


11.  She is serene. Well named Olive Serene. 



And she looks like my grandmother in this photo. So lovely.

The end!

6 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind me sharing this wonderful post? Great observations about your daughter!
    You Jackstads are pretty sticking awesome...oh and I LOVE the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and she DOES look like your Grandma in that shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your entire family - little Oli included - are so very blessed. Such a beautiful and loving (and growing!) family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading this! What a HAPPY, loving family Olive is a part of. She is one lucky girl and you are all so lucky to have her. Such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is so beautiful-I love how she looks like a "girl Charlie" because when Sherry was born she was a"girl Michael" and the other two stepped right in line to look like Henrys too. It's just fun. I hope Olive grows up to be as incredible & loving & accomplished as her Mom.

    ReplyDelete