gettin' Down with baby Olive
Just to clarify, that's my clever way of saying she has Down Syndrome :)First off, let me apologize. This was not at all the way I wanted to announce that we were pregnant. I admit it, I am a big fat jerk. If you were one of the 400 people that had no idea we were having a baby, please don't feel too bad. Chances are, if you haven't seen me in the past few months, you were pretty clueless.
We planned on telling everyone once we found out the baby's gender, but in that same ultrasound we found out about all of baby's health issues. We were shocked, scared for her life, and thought it best to wait. I'm sure you understand. Again, I'm sorry. My blog draft (written a couple hours before surprise! Olive was born) is titled "Babymoon... P.S. We're pregnant!". I obviously had good intentions.
![]() |
| A photo on our treehouse vacation, taken to announce our baby. |
![]() |
| On our way into surgery. See me bawling. |
I called Garrett at work, told him we were having a baby that day, and he ran over to the hospital. The Jacksons came from Chehalis, and my mom bought a plane ticket back from Hawaii for the week. Love our family.
![]() |
| I LOVE this photo with her super puffy face. Poor little girl. |
Olive is doing great. Thanks to our awesome parents, I'm sure you've all seen updates here and there about her. We couldn't be more excited with her progress. Her fluid has drained and stopped accumulating, she is fully able to survive off of breast milk (no IV!) and she is only getting minor oxygen supplements. Oh, and big bonus, her adema is gone.
Yesterday I got to dress her. She was swimming in the premie clothes that I thought would be too big on her. I am loving the fact that I get to hold her now and I got to try breastfeeding her a few days ago! These small things are really helping me feel like she's actually our kid.
The doctors removed her oxygen supply on Saturday, and she has been doing well without it! She has been such a champ at bottle feeding, which is the only thing still keeping her in the NICU. Once she gets bottle-feeding down and can take all her milk orally, she can come home! I am SO excited. At first it felt very foreign having this little babe that I could barely touch in a bed in a far-away hospital. It was very hard to feel attached to our little girl. But after hours of watching, a few of actually holding, and like 10 minutes of feeding her, I am so ready to have her home with us.
Not feeling attached to Olive has been hard. Especially once we found out she had Down Syndrome. We were surprised with the diagnosis, and it's taken a while to adjust our image of our future. I don't know what our future will hold for us, and I think that is what makes me nervous. We are not experts on the syndrome, we cannot answer 99% of the questions people ask us about it. We're clueless. My greatest hope is that she feels loved, wanted and adored.
One thing that really helped me was realizing what I was excited about for Charlie. I am excited to go to his soccer games and see him score a goal. I am excited for him to come home from school excited about what he made that day. I am excited to see him become a good friend and a kind person. I can have all that same joy with Olive.
We want to be the kind of parents that love, support and encourage all our children to achieve their potential. Down Syndrome or not, we want them to be happy and successful.
We are all imperfect and different. I realized as I was thinking about the resurrection (Happy Easter!) that we all will be changed after this life. We are all mortal, fatally flawed. Down Syndrome or not, we all have the same eternal goals and purpose. I'm just excited to have fun along the way :)
Here are some Easter photos of the kiddos for ya. Too cute, I know.
![]() |






Uncle Brian's down with Olive! Can't wait to hold her...We love you JackStads... keep it up, you're an AWESOME Family!!! :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post Rach! We love you guys and think your family is awesome. Down with you too!
ReplyDeleteGrammachris
Excited to hear she is doing better and can't wait to meet this sweet girl soon!!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! We are sending Tennessee and Japanese love your way. Yes, we are down with Olive.
ReplyDeleteSuch cute pictures and blogs. She is coming to the right family!
ReplyDeleteI am Amber Walunas' sister in-law and after reading this post, it brought me back to when we had our preemie at 33 weeks. First off, you are amazing and will realize that you are much more stronger than you ever thought you could be. My heart goes out to you. It's hard and nothing like having a full term baby. Ours was in the NICU for 3 weeks learning how to eat and keep her own body temperature up. I can totally understand the bonding issue. It didn't feel like my baby and it made me sad. I would question myself if I loved her because it just wasn't a feeling I was expecting to have. Over days/weeks I knew this was my princess and that I would do anything for her. But what a scary feeling. We learned so much in the NICU and now consider it a blessing to have had their help and gain their knowledge. I'm excited to hear when sweet, beautiful Olive gets to come home. I have been asking Ben and Amber about you guys since she told me about you having to deliver Olive early (because of our experience). I'm so happy to hear she's improving. These sweet babies are such fighters, truly amazing.
ReplyDeleteI wish you the best of luck, patience, strength, faith, health, endurance, laughter and lots and lots of love. YOU can do this. Your family is beautiful.
Emily (Walunas) Carlson
PS: I totally remember Kennedy swimming in her preemie clothes! Keep some, because now it just kills me that she's growing into 3's and to compare the two sizes and remember back when she was so so tiny. It's quite cute.
I am totally Down with baby Olive! I love my entire family and am so glad to have a new addition! I can't wait to get to know her more and spend some quality time with her. I am relieved she is such a fighter and miracle baby, we are lucky to have her! There may be challenges ahead, but we are such an awesome family and we will surely Rock it! Racheal and Garrett, you guys are so strong and have been champs! Life is a learning experience and I am excited to learn more about down syndrome and broaden my experiences and perspectives! Love, Auntie G
ReplyDeleteOlive is beautiful and will be beautiful! With amazing parents and an awesome older brother I have to think God knew what he was doing. Jeff and I can't wait to see and hear more from you guys!
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear she will be coming home soon! :) So exciting!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for this blog post! What a sweet family and we pray that she comes home to you soon. We send our love!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful and inspiring thoughts! Please know you have support all around - seen and unseen - and that will continue throughout your journey. Much love!
ReplyDelete