Partying Like it's 1959

4:06 PM Unknown 1 Comments

I'm pretty sure I was around for the last three months... I just can't remember any of it. Life has this tricky way of speeding up when you're busy and blurring everything together. I'd like to chalk it up to my mom-brain: the post-pregnancy hormones meant to wipe the labor and delivery from your mind so you respond positively when the evolutionary call to procreate (yet again) inevitably calls. I'm sure that has something to do with it. That and the 60 hour weeks I've been putting in remodeling a house (and teaching myself HOW TO remodel a house) solo. Something about the stress and the baby and pressure and the paint fumes. Who knows.

While I was a blur over the last three months, our life happened.

Ben grew. He's now 5 months old. Darling as ever. Trying his darnedest to sit upright. NOT sleeping through the night, thanks for asking.


Oli had her fingertip pinched off in door, sewn back on (twice!), fell down the stairs that same week (we thought she broke her ankle), regrew her fingertip and fingernail, and has developed the most endearing lisp and use of pronouns: Yeth Mommy, Yeth Daddy. Thank you Mommy, Thank you Daddy.


Charlie has rocked his big-brother role. He is probably Benny's favorite person, lighting up Ben's face whenever he walks into the room. During the hours a day he is babysat while I am renovating, he has played Zelda: Wind Waker, and is now over half-way through. I'm trying to state this fact with the excitement he would show, not the mom-shame I should feel for having a 5 year old babysat by a gaming system.

Garrett has been the awesome person he is: spending every weeknight, Saturday and every day of his two-week vacation watching the kids while I tiled, framed, plumbed and sheet-rocked. Happily, I might add. A true parent is a multi-tasker, and he is the champion. He read 4 books in January alone, while pacing the floor pacifying Ben, reading aloud the text on Zelda, and freeze-dancing with Oli.

I have lost most of my sanity, frankly. October 27th we decided to take on the renovation of a 1300 sqft home to prep for us to move into. It's a cute 2 bedroom home from 1959: popcorn ceilings, crazy low counters, pointless soffits, and layers of particle board and linoleum for days. Its redeeming factors include a brick fireplace with built-ins, a well lit living room, a great footprint and a killer 2.5 acre yard.




Surprisingly, this move was not a big decision for us. Though we are losing almost half of our square-footage, we feel like we're gaining freedom. With fewer places to keep stuff, it'll be easier to focus on experiences.  Fewer things, more life.

I sometimes lose the "why" of this transition. When it's been days since I've showered (no time, why bother?), spent quality time with my family or prepared a meal (cereal counts, right?), I tend to get frustrated and discouraged. And then I get a glimpse of Oli out stomping in the rain, or Charlie, out of breath from running through the yard, and I feel free.

1 comment:

  1. Love this, YOU, your kids, the house , and of course, your husband 😉
    You rock!

    ReplyDelete