Blogging Season

1:15 PM racheal 2 Comments

Please excuse me whilst I reminisce through photos of drier summer times.

I gave myself the summer off from blogging: too many fun things to be doing outside. But now that Washington has given in to the inevitable 9-month-drizzle we've all been anticipating, I have no more excuses. So I'm back.

Also back to my rainy-day battle: mommy's creativity vs. the TV. Which will win in the epic of the winter? Today? Probably the TV.

I don't know if it's the weather or just me, but I've been feeling rather slumpy lately. At first it was just regular lazy, and then on October 1st it became Gilmore Girls lazy. So now the lazy is addicting.


Occasionally I can break the Gilmore Girls bonds long enough to read a good book. Lately I've read My Story by Elizabeth Smart, Heaven is Here by Stephanie Nielson, and The Rent Collector by Camron Wright. Mormon autobiographies and a fascinating read about a family that lives in a dump in Cambodia. I found all of them interesting, but Stephanie Nielson, of nieniedialogues.com is the one that really helped me change my perspective on things.


It wasn't anything she said about healing, though I cannot imagine the insurmountable hill that she had to climb in her recovery after her plane crash. Rather, it was her love for her role as mother that affected me. In her book, Stephanie shares briefly about her pre-crash life. She describes her love for caring for her children, her pride in maintaining a clean house, and her consistency with having dinner on the table when her husband came home. That is most definitely not the norm around here.


But it could be. I will not be in this mothering role forever, let alone with small impressionables around. Why wouldn't I make my role my passion? So often I am embarrassed to tell people that I am a stay-at-home mom. What a world of good that Bachelor's in Biology did me, eh? I often feel that because I don't have some successful side business, day care or Etsy shop that I'm not creative enough or industrious enough.


I am being more confident. I am embracing this role of "mother" with pride. I have kept my house spotless for almost 2 weeks! (Or at least cleaned everything up by bed time). Dinner for 2 weeks! Now I just need to get back to running. The TV might occasionally win this winter, and my passion for motherhood may waver at times, but I will not lose myself. And that still counts as winning.



2 comments:

  1. You are awesomeness in a person. Love it when you share your thoughts on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These kids are totes adorbs. I miss their faces...

    ReplyDelete