World Down Syndrome Day: Round 3
It's World Down Syndrome Day. Having a child with DS, blog posts and articles about others with Down Syndrome inevitably make their way around to me. And sadly, I can't help but cringe at what I'm reading. I try to be open-minded. I try to remember that we're all at different levels of understanding. I try to see others' good intentions. I try to keep that in mind.Can I clarify something? My daughter HAS Down Syndrome. She is NOT a "Down Syndrome Child", she is a child. This may seem like a really minor distinction, but it is hugely significant to me. My greatest fear for my daughter is that others will see her only for her body, for her genetics. She is so much more than that. WE are so much more than that.
Obviously, this stereotyping isn't exclusive to those with Down Syndrome either. We are a physical society, distracted by appearances, be it wealth, race, or beauty. I've been crushing on this C.S. Lewis quote,
"You do not have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body."
It's time to start seeing ourselves for who we really are. Unique, vulnerable, resilient. Family.





Love this, you, Oli and the quote! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete